The swinging bridge was originally constructed in early 1875 by the Short family, whose land was divided by the Arroyo Grande Creek. The bridge spans a total length 171 feet and is suspended 40 feet above the creek. It's owned and maintained by the City of Arroyo Grande and is the only one of its kind in California. The bridge was damaged by a falling tree in March 1995. With strong community support, it was completely restored in May 1995.